Sunday, November 20, 2005

Passiflora laurifolia

Passiflora laurifolia, Water Lemon
Origin:South America

Two books I referred to gave two different names to this flower. One was passiflora edulis and the other was passiflora laurifolia. Some years back, I came across this climber in Kentridge park and since then I have not seen this plant again anywhere. The plant in Kentridge has disappeared along with the park upgrading plans and I am glad to have witnessed this particular bloom. Coming back to the name, I used my favourite search engine http://www.vivisimo.com/ and keyed in both names. The sites and information that were thrown up were simply amazing. From what I have seen of the photos and information, I have concluded that the photo on the left is that of the laurifolia and not the edulis.

No comments: