Sunday, October 08, 2006

Cleome speciosa - an unusual plant

I saw this unusual flower in somebody's garden and went near the front gate to get a closer look. A lady was standing at the door and I said to her that I was just admiring her flowers. She came out for a chat and told me the plant came from the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia and that the flowers looked their best in the evenings when it is cooler. I suppose that made sense since Cameron Highlands is a hill resort. If you look closely at the photo, you will realise that what appears to be leaves are actually seed pods. This is a most unusual plant. Sad to say I have never seen anything like it in the books that I have. Hopefully, someone will know its identity and let me know so that there is a name to this flower.
I have an identification of this plant. Please see comments by Funfun.


Family: Capparaceae

1 comment:

Mableinsingapore said...

Thank you ;-)