Saturday, April 28, 2007

Crinum Lily

This is the Crinum Lily that is commonly seen in our landscaped gardens.

One day as I was walking past a row of shophouses, I was captivated by this unusual bloom that at first glance had the appearance of a wilting crinum lily flower. On closer look, everything about the flower was fresh with no signs of decay. Crinum lilies are white and the purplish colour of the petals of this particular flower could mean that it is another crinum specie. This flower reminds me very much of the Bat Lily because it does not conform to the normal expectation of what a flower should look like. Because of this quality, it exudes a kind of mystery that has the power to stop people like me giving me an opportunity to admire nature amidst civilised surroundings. A few days later, I saw another plant that could be the same specie as the one I was not able to identify.

No comments: