Thursday, January 31, 2008

Kalanchoe blossfeldiana - Flowers for Chinese New Year

You know that Chinese New Year is near when these flowers (Kalanchoe blossfeldiana that are native to Madagascar) make their appearance in nurseries, markets and Chinatown. They come in colours of red, pink and yellow. About the only thing I like about Chinese New Year are really the flowers because enjoying them is free and there are so many around, everywhere.


Pink Azalea, another popular potted plant during Chinese New Year. I remember that once I was led into the belief that I would get flowers the whole year round from a plant such as this that I bought it without hesitation. After the Chinese New Year the flowers were not forthcoming and my interest in the plant waned and the plant, sadly did not survive my indifference. So now I learn only to appreciate them with my camera when I do see them.

No comments: