Monday, February 25, 2008

Bougainvillea

It's almost two years since the first time my bougainvillea plant flowered bountifully. It had youth, it had exuberance and the flowers literally burst at the seams with these qualities.

Now the plant has matured and its thick stems and branches could not be tamed as easily as before. The flowers still enthrall but appear more subdued as each cluster is smaller than before.

Still, my bougainvillea stands strong in my back garden rewarding me with these spectacular flowers from time to time and providing shade and shelter for other plants to grow under its protection. I hear the bubul's chirping but it is not easy to spot the birds now that the branches are so numerous. When the flowers wilt, that will be the time to prune the plant so that renewal may take place.

No comments: