Saturday, April 26, 2008

Tamarindus indica - Tamarind Tree and fungi

Have you seen a tamarind tree from which we get the tamarind fruit from which we get one of the flavours that make our food in Singapore so mouth-watering? I have seen both tree and fruits and only recently came upon the flowers. Here are the fruits in comparison with a flower. In the picture above you can see a young fruit in the background.
And here comes the surprise for me - some tiny fungi that I thought were parts of the tree. When they remained stuck to the ground, I got curious. A closer examination showed one of the most interesting type of fungi that is receptacle-like containing spores.
The tamarind flowers were an exciting find for me but seeing these fungi and photographing them for the first time was a refreshing encounter with nature.

No comments: