Saturday, August 09, 2008

Bougainvillea - Celebrating our National Day

My bougainvillea bloom is all I have to offer my country on her Birthday today. It's not much but it is my gift from my garden, nurtured by water from the heaven over this piece of earth I call home.

I had thought of the Hibiscus flower of which I have plenty of photos but then the flower belongs to our neighbour across the Causeway. Then I thought of the Vanda Miss Joaquim, our official national flower and put that thought aside because it wasn't my choice for our national flower.

I think a gift has to come from the heart and so here it is, my humble bougainvillea is my choice because it is like a child I have seen growing up from infancy to maturity and it never fails in brightening up my day whenever it flowers.

Here's wishing all my fellow Singaporeans a very Happy National Day!

No comments: