Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Gloriosa superba - Glory Lily ((嘉兰 - jia lan2)

Flame lily, fire lily, gloriosa lily, glory lily, superb lily, climbing lily, creeping lily, tiger claw and you may be tempted to name this flower as well. I would name it the helicopter lily because each time I see it, I imagine that it would just take off vertically and spiral into the clouds.
This is a climber and it creeps along fences unleashing its unusual flowers in tropical Asia and Africa. I've seen these flowers at the foot of Bukit Timah Hill in front of the Visitor Centre, in someone's garden in Pulau Ubin and the latest find here was in the Singapore Botanic Gardens. As I do not see them very often, I just could not stop taking pictures especially when I was also testing my new camera.
The Glory Lily in various stages of development from young to old.

No comments: