Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Basil


One day, on impulse I bought a pot of basil at the market. After a few weeks, the basil plant withered and not wanting to lose it completely due to my ignorance and lack of knowledge about how to care for it, I gave it to my nephew who planted it in his garden. The plant thrived and multiplied under his care and I am relieved that the plant was rescued in time.

I am not exactly sure about the identity of this one here. I learned that there are quite a few species of basil. However looking at the images on the web and pictures in my books, the plant in the photo looks like it is a Holy basil (Ocimum sanctum).

I like the smell of the leaves and other than that I did not know what else to do with it. I know that it is a herb and a friend of mine once made a refreshing sandwich using fresh basil leaves from her garden in the filling. I think it is a herb that is more associated with western cooking than it is with Asian cooking.

No comments: