Sunday, July 11, 2010

Flowers on Sentosa Island

This post features the flowers I saw on my Sentosa Island outing. Though there were not many, my best encounter was with these Octopus Tree flowers that were about a meter above eye level. Considering that these trees were always towering over me at heights of 5 meters - those at the Singapore Botanic Gardens, on Mount Faber and near Sungei Buloh Wetlands Nature Reserve and MacRitchie Reservoir - I was really lucky to come this close to these flowers.

Unknown. These flowers were on the ground and I did not see any plant nearby that had these flowers. Perhaps I did not look above me. I like the tiny flower pattern encased in the pentagon-shaped centre.
One of my favourite flowers - the frangipani (plumeria)
The Thunbergia, faithful vine.



Celosia spicata out in full force.
Too late to see the flowers. Instead there were small berry-like fruits at the top of this plant that I do not know the name of.




A flowering Kopsia fruticosa shrub across from the tram station at Palawan Beach.

4 comments:

ts said...

Hi, nice blog!

The first plant is Schefflera actinophylla.

Second picture, the flower belongs to Cerbera manghas (pong pong).

The plant with berry like fruits on top is Yucca sp.

Mableinsingapore said...

Thanks Siyang for the identity of the plants :-) Cheers!

Cammy said...

Mableinsingapore, You have not posted a new post in a while so I decided to comment on an older post. Again, I am speechless. I have absolutely nothing to say anymore. How many times have I said that these flowers are so beautiful? It seems that those are the only words that even comes close to what I am feeling towards these plants. I might have to expand my vocabulary so that I can find some words to describe to you how much I love these flowers! Hope you write a new post soon, and thank you for putting your time and effort into this amazing blog!

Mableinsingapore said...

Hi Camma, just enjoy the flowers and for as long as I have the time, energy and frame of mind to maintain my blogs, I will continue to do so. I am just so happy that these flowers that I put up on my blog have touched people like yourself and my dear internet friend Alice from Singapore so deeply. Thank you for your encouraging words and I will put up more posts by this weekend. Cheers!