Saturday, August 05, 2006

Hibiscus acetosella

Hibiscus acetosella
(African rosemallow, Maple Sugar, Red Hibiscus, False Roselle, Cranberry Shield)

I found this unusual hibiscus plant up on Kent Ridge Park. What caught my attention were the red leaves and I almost missed seeing the pretty, pink blooms amongst the leaves. Luckily I saw them. I am glad to have taken these photos that morning. This plant and its sweet flowers kind of made up for the loss of a paperback novel that I had carelessly left behind on the park bench.

2 comments:

CURUPKAMI said...

hello..
i have picture Hibiscus
but i dont know that is Hibiscus acetosella or Hibiscus sabdariffa
could you tell me what is the differences betwen Hibiscus acetosella and Hibiscus sabdariffa

thank you

Mableinsingapore said...

Here's a link to Wikipedia that I found that gives you the differences between the two types of hibiscus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus_acetosella

Hope it will help you to id the hibiscus in your photo. Cheers!