Thursday, April 17, 2008

Murraya koenigii - Curry Tree or Curry-leaf Tree

Recently, I saw these flowers of the Curry-leaf tree in one of the nearby nature reserve. It has been a while since I came across these flowers.


The first time I ever saw these flowers was in my own backyard when my curry tree bloomed in 2001. I remember how thrilled I was because the curry tree was given by a family friend.

The flowers must be sweet and fragrant for they attracted butterflies such as this one here.
Then I saw the fruits.

It was some years later when I saw the fruits of this plant again. This time it was in garden in a community centre. I was initially attracted by the black berry-like fruits and was surprised to see that they belonged to a curry tree.

Family: Rutaceae

Origin: India and Sri Lanka


No comments: