Monday, August 03, 2009

Momordica charantia - Bitter Gourd

Bitter gourd cooked with minced pork is one of my favourite dishes. I never knew that bitter gourd has a scientific name that sounds like royalty (Momordica charantia) nor did I know that it comes from a family called Cucurbitaceae. I happened to be waiting around this area in a housing estated that looked like someone's vegetable garden.

Attracted by the flowers (as usual) I soon noticed the fruits hidden amongst the large leaves.

The yellow flowers were small with cheery, yellow petals.

Last night, a friend suggested that I should start a vegetable patch in my garden as she has grown capsicums, ladies' fingers and chye sim in her apartment and she kept them in pots.

The thought of me labouring over a vegetable patch is not a very exciting idea till my husband retires so that he can be in charge of the labouring while I reap and photograph the fruits of his labour. Till then, I am contented to support the Singapore farmers by buying their products and hope that more land will be freed for fruits and vegetables to be farmed locally.

2 comments:

andrea said...

Hi Mabel

I happen to stumble upon your blog.

I am writing to enquire if you still have high-resolution photos of the bitter gourd plant that you posted in your blog in 2009.

Thank you!

Mableinsingapore said...

Hi Andrea,

Please let me know what you would like to use the photo for.

Mable